Man loses everything in house fire
A fire destroyed a Jack County home Saturday afternoon.
Its resident, Austin Hansen, 21, was in Graham visiting his girlfriend waiting to go to a concert when the fire began.
“I got a call that there was a grass fire near my house so I immediately left and started to head that way,” Hansen said.
But while he was in route to his home on FM 2190 east of Squaw Mountain Road, he got another call telling him his house was burning.
“I got there and it was gone,” Hansen said.
Jacksboro Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Jackson said the grass fire origin was a brush pile that had been burned weeks earlier. The fire was called in by a person traveling on the road.
“It started from the road and worked its way to my house and by the time the fire department got there, there was no stopping it,” Hansen said.
The fire was called in at approximately 3:43 p.m. It was several hours later after 9 p.m. before all responding fire crews, including those from Bryson, Jacksboro, Jermyn, Perrin, Newport and Antelope, cleared the scene.
Although no person was injured in the fire, Hansen lost his red heeler, Zoey. He said that has been the hardest part.
“I’m not worried about the house part of it. That dog is the most heartbreaking thing about it,” Hansen said.
Hansen’s cousin started a Facebook fundraiser which can be found by searching his name on Facebook. He said the home was insured and he feels like he’ll be fine financially. He is currently staying with his girlfriend and plans to continue to and rebuild eventually.
“I’m not the type of guy that likes to take handouts. I’m sure it will help in the long run if they’d like to donate,” Hansen said.
But a total loss from a structure fire takes an emotional toll as well.
“I’m doing alright, I guess. It’s not easy, but I’ll get through it. Tough times don’t last but tough people do,” he said. “I’ve got hundreds of people surrounding me and that helps a lot.”