Rules announced for Jacksboro Newspapers' Pepper Eatin' Showdown
There is no fee to register. Registration will take place at 6 p.m. Saturday at a booth near the food vendors.
The first 15 to sign up will be entered. Five alternates will also be registered in case any of the original 15 get lost on their way to the contest.
First place winner will receive $300, second place $150 and third place $50. Not to mention the bragging rights.
Contestants will be asked to sign a waiver along with registration.
Prize money will be in the form of a check Monday following the event.
• Contestants must be at least 18 years old.
• Each contestant will receive a bag(s) of whole jalapeño peppers 10 per bag.
• You may eat only one pepper during the first minute.
• After 1 minutes, contestants may then eat as many peppers during the next 2 minutes, one pepper at a time.
• Peppers must be eaten down to within 1/8 inch of cap to be counted.
• Contestants will not be allowed any other foods or beverages during the contest.
• Contestants will be disqualified should they be unable to keep peppers down.
• Contestants cannot coat the inside of the mouth with any kind of protective coating. Anyone caught will be disqualified.
• The contestant with the most stems after time has been called will be the winner.
• Contestants will be allowed to finish any pepper remaining in mouth when time is called.
• Should there be a tie, contestants will compete in a 30-second competition.
• Judges’ rulings are final.