(Mark Stretcher)
The Jacksboro Tigers traveled to Archer City Friday night to take on the Wildcats in their final pre-district game of the year. The Tigers took the opening kickoff and wasted little time in getting started as David Stretcher converted a third and 10 with a 37-yard run. That play was followed up by a 27-yard pass to Kyle Clark that set the Tigers up with a first and goal which was quickly converted when D.J. Thomas took the ball into the end zone. Jacob Patino's extra point gave the Tigers a quick 7-0 lead. The Tiger defense went right to work as Kade Rodie ended the Wildcat's first possession with a 10-yard quarterback sack.
The Tigers were unable to move the ball on their next possession and following a Jacksboro punt, the Wildcats were able to move the ball deep into Tiger territory as the first quarter ended with the Wildcats facing a fourth and 2, deep in Tiger territory. The Jacksboro defense emerged from the break and stopped the Wildcat ball carrier short of the first down, turning the ball back to the Tiger offense. The Tigers were able to put together a drive that featured a 30-yard pass to Cooper Tisdale and six consecutive runs by Collin Kinder that netted 30 yards. However, as the Tiger drive moved deep into Archer City territory, penalties moved the Tigers back and the Wildcats were able to stop the drive and regain possession of the ball.


The Tigers forced another Archer City punt and started their next drive on their 40-yard line. Passes to Tisdale and Stretcher along with three runs by Kinder moved the ball deep into Wildcat territory where Stretcher took a pass, reversed his field and completed a 17-yard touchdown play that gave the Tigers a 14-0 lead after Patino's extra point. The Tigers were able to take that lead into halftime. The first Wildcat drive of the second half ended when Bubba Johnson sacked the Archer City quarterback for a 17 yard loss.
The Tigers were not able to move the ball and after punting the ball back to Archer City, the Wildcats were able to put together another drive on the Tigers. However, once again, the Tigers were able to stop the Wildcats when a fourth down pass fell incomplete. The Tigers were not able to move the ball and were forced to punt again. The Wildcats appeared to be stopped again but a fake punt gained just enough yardage for Archer City and the successful gamble gave the Wildcats a momentum boost which they rode to a touchdown that trimmed the Tiger lead to 14-7. The Tigers wasted no time in answering as Daniel Mabbitt returned the kickoff to midfield. Quarterback Kirk Weldon took over at that point with 30 yards rushing including a 13-yard TD run off a well designed fake handoff. Weldon's touchdown run gave the Tigers a 20-7 lead. The Wildcats weren't finished for the evening as they put together a drive that covered a total of 63 yards and ended with a touchdown that pulled the Wildcats to within 20-14. Following the score, the Wildcats attempted an onsides kick that the Tigers recovered. Thomas had a 30-yard run on the first play for the Tigers and Weldon ended the contest when he converted a fourth and one and the Tigers were able to run out the clock with a hard fought 20-14 win that raised their record on the year to 3-2. The Tigers will open district play this week when they host the City View Mustangs in their homecoming game. Head coach Brian Hodnett was pleased with the win but realizes that his team faces a bigger challenge this week. He commented, "Our team was like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. We played okay for about a half, then, except for about two or three series in the second half, we played awful. Archer City played well and did what they had to do. "I am glad we finished and won but we better get things going. This week's game is huge and we know how good City View can be."